Our Resources + Materials
Two-day Coaching Workshop Materials > August 28-29, 2017
Top 5 Student-Centered Coaching Tools
- Follow this link to find our most requested Student-Centered Coaching Tools.
Choice Literacy Podcast
In this podcast with Heather Rader, Diane and Heather talk about the dangers of focusing too much on teachers’ lessons and not enough on student work when coaching.
Two Studies on the Impact of Coaching
- Impact of Literacy Coaching by Vanderburg and Stephens
- Assessing the Value-Added Effects of Literacy Collaborative Professional Development on Student Learning by Biancarosa, Bryk, and Dexter
Websites + Journals
- Association for Supervision and Curriculum Development — www.ascd.org
- Choice Literacy — www.choiceliteracy.com
- Educational Leadership — www.ascd.org
- Literacy Coaching Clearinghouse — www.literacycoachingonline.org
- Learning Forward (National Staff Development Council) — www.learningforward.org
- Diane Sweeney Consulting — www.dianesweeney.com
- US News & World Report – Washington DC Coaches & the Common Core (PDF of article)
Books + Articles
- Barth, Roland. 2006. “Improving Relationships in the Schoolhouse.” Educational Leadership, March, p. 8-13.
- DuFour, Richard, Robert Eaker, and Rebecca DuFour. 2005. On Common Ground: The power of professional learning communities. Bloomington, IN: NES.
- Bambrick-Santoyo, Paul. 2010. Driven By Data. San Francisco, CA: Jossey-Bass.
- Bean, Rita, DeFord, Diane. 2007. Do’s and Don’ts for Literacy Coaching. Literacy Coaching Clearinghouse.
- Burkins, Jan, M. 2007. Coaching for Balance: How to Meet the Challenges of Literacy Coaching. Newark, DE: International Reading Association.
- Evans, Robert. 1996. The Human Side of School Change: Reform, Resistance, and the Real-Life Problems of Innovation. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass.
- Flaherty, James. 1999. Coaching: Evoking Excellence in Others. Boston: Butterworth- Heinemann.
- Frost, Shari, Buhle, R. and Blachowicz, C. 2009. Effective Literacy Coaching: Building Expertise and a Culture of Literacy. Alexandria, VA: ASCD.
- Fullan, Michael. 2006. Change Theory: A Force for School Improvement. Centre for Strategic Education.
- Fullan, Michael. 2001. Leading in a Culture of Change. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass.
- Killion, Joellen and Cindy Harrison. 2006. Taking the Lead: New Roles for Teachers and School-Based Coaches. Oxford, OH: NSDC.
- Knight. Jim. 2009. Coaching: Approaches and Perspectives. Thousand Oaks, CA: Corwin Press.
- Lencioni, Patrick (2002). The Five Dysfunctions of a Team, San Francisco, CA: Jossey-Bass.
- Lovely, Suzette and Austin Buffum. 2005. Generations at School. Thousand Oaks, CA: Corwin Press.
- Marshall, Kim. 2009. Rethinking Teacher Supervision and Evaluation. San Francisco, CA: Jossey-Bass.
- Schlechty, Phillip. 2011. Engaging Students: The Next Level of Working on the Work. San Francisco, CA: Jossey-Bass.
- Toll, Cathy. The Literacy Coach’s Survival Guide. Newark, DE: International Reading Association.
- Wheatley, Margaret, J. (2002). Turning to One Another: Simple Conversations to Restore Hope to the Future, San Francisco, CA: Berrett-Koehler Publishers.
- Wiggins, Grant and Jay McTighe. 2005. Understanding by Design. Alexandria, VA: ASCD.